Former Secretary of the defunct Inter-Ministerial Committee on Illegal Mining (IMCIM), Charles Bissue has reportedly turned himself in to the Office of the Special Prosecutor.
According to a press release, he arrived at the Office earlier on Wednesday, June 21, at about 11:45 am.
The statement signed by Kissi Agyebeng said Mr Bissue was immediately arrested on arrival and interviewed.
He has since been granted bail.
This comes about two weeks after the OSP launched a manhunt for the former presidential staffer to be interrogated for his role on the anti-galamsey committee.
He was asked to appear at the offices of the investigative body on May 22.
Lawyers for Mr Bissue then wrote to the OSP requesting a copy of the petition forming the basis of this invitation and asking that the said meeting be rescheduled to May 25 due to “a domestic emergency”.
Lawyers for Mr Bissue say the OSP refused to accept the proposed date of 25th May 2023 and insisted on the May 22 date.
This meeting did not happen causing the OSP to proceed to court to secure an arrest warrant.
Mr Bissue has filed a fresh suit at the court asking that it sets aside the warrant of arrest issued against him as well as a rule that the investigative body is violating his human rights.
This is the third time Mr Bissue is suing the OSP.
The previous two suits relate to the OSP’s investigations arising from an investigative documentary titled ‘Galamsey Fraud Part I’ published by Tiger Eye P.I. and the journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas.
Mr Bissue had in this instance also demanded a copy of the petition giving rise to the probe. He had further alleged that this petition was authored by Special Prosecutor Kissi Agyebeng when he served as a lawyer in private practice before assuming office.
He wants the court to restrain the OSP from investigating him adding that the subject of his probe has already been concluded by the Police Service’s CID. These cases are yet to be determined.
How it started
In December 2022, the former Secretary of the defunct Inter-Ministerial Committee on Illegal Mining (IMCIM) wants the court to prevent the Office of the Special Prosecutor from investigating him.
Charles Bissue filed for an injunction at an Accra High Court seeking to do so.
On October 10, Special Prosecutor Kissi Agyebeng started investigating some public officials over their alleged involvement in illegal mining (galamsey).
The investigation targeted some officials of the Lands Ministry, the Forestry Commission, and the dissolved Inter-Ministerial Committee on Illegal Mining (IMCIM).
The OSP said the inquiry will also span allegations of use of public office for profit against Charles Bissue during his tenure as secretary to the IMCIM.
This is based on an investigative documentary by Anas Aremeyaw Anas and the Tiger Eye P.I.
However, the New Patriotic Party (NPP) member is seeking to end it.