Basic schools within the Kwahu-Bepong enclave in the Eastern Region have been shut down following a shooting incident on Sunday, February 4, 2024.
The order to close down came from the Kwahu South Municipal Security Council (MUSEC) after the said incident resulted in the death of two people who were hit by stray bullets.
Reports indicate that several other people sustained gunshot wounds when the police attempted to disperse an angry crowd during a confrontation between the two.
According to the Kwahu South Municipal Chief Executive, Emmanuel Ofori Attah, schools have been shut down to protect school-going children in the area.
“What you heard is true. I decided with my Education Director. The incident happened yesterday [Sunday] and it won’t be advisable for children to go to school. The basic school students won’t be going to school including the Day students at the Senior High. However, those in the boarding house will remain on campus till the case is settled,” he said.
The police have so far arrested 25 persons while a majority of the youth have abandoned the town. The police explained that they were picked up for attacking officers and destroying some properties at Kwahu Bepong.
Despite the abandonment, there is still heavy police presence in the town.
The MCE further condemned the unfortunate incident while promising to find solutions to the recent disturbance.
“We are going to meet as leaders so by noon, everything will be fine,” Mr. Ofori noted.
He also advised residents to always comply with police instructions during emergencies while calling on the police to prioritize professional conduct and explore alternative crowd control methods to minimize harm.