1.0 Introduction The National LPG Policy seeks to provide direction on marketing and distribution of LPG in a safe and efficient manner, and facilitate an increase in access to LPG nationwide. The goal of the policy is to ensure at least 50% of Ghanaians have access to safe, clean and environmentally friendly LPG for increased domestic, commercial and industrial usage by 2030. The policy seek to achieve the following objectives:
- Develop a market-driven structure to ensure safety, increased access and adoption of LPG.
- Enhance the capacity of existing regulatory institutions in order to meet the regulatory requirements of the new market structure.
- Ensure the existence of robust and standard Health, Safety and Environmental practices in the production, marketing and consumption of LPG.
- Ensure the sustainability of supply under the new market structure
- Ensure local content and participation in the LPG sub sector in compliance to the Downstream Local Content Policy.
|Bulk Distribution Company (BDC)
|a) Imports LPG; b) Stores; and c) Distributes in bulk to LPGMCs and Bottling Plants.
|Bottling Plant (BP)
|a) Procure LPG from BDCs and resells to LPGMCs; b) Refills cylinders for LPGMCs; c) Tests cylinders; and d) Undertake maintenance of cylinders with minor defects and refer cylinders with major defects to Manufacturing & Maintenance Facility.
|LPG Marketing Company (LPGMC)
|a) Procure LPG from BDCs for supply to Auto Gas outlets and Bulk Commercial Customers; b) Own and brand cylinders; c) Transport refilled and empty cylinders; d) Manage entire supply chain between BP and consumers; and e) Maintain cylinders.
|a) Operate cylinder exchange points on behalf of LPGMCs; b) Dispense LPG to autogas (Low risk outlets) and; c) Manage LPGMC safety and regulatory protocols and customer relations on behalf of LPGMCs.
|Manufacturing & Maintenance Company
|a) Manufacture cylinders; and b) Undertake major maintenance of cylinders. c) Disposal of cylinders
- Job Creation
- Increased Viability of LPG supply
- Improvement in health status of women and children
- Improve public health and safety